Getting Started with LabCatsCoding
Our approach is different and gets kids doing real coding faster.
- Kids learn real skills starting with building a webpage on the first day.
- Cloud editors give the kids easy access to their work from anywhere.
- A personal development environment for each student.
- When you get stuck, we can look at your code online and provide help directly.
- Classes build upon each other and are road tested by other kids.
"To actually learn how to think. I think everyone in this country should learn to program a computer. Everyone should learn a computer language because it teaches you how to think." --Steve Jobs 1996
Thanks so much for all the extra love, care and encouragement and coding (!) you gave our daughter over the last few weeks. She’s been beaming today with pride, having tackled such a huge project. Truly a highlight of these locked down pandemic times!
My son has loved Mettler's coding classes. He appreciates that Elizabeth is able to structure classes to a student's particular pace and abilities, while still having all the kids work together and contribute. He already has two Apps in the Apple store and expects to release several more!
- Future Billionaire Parent
This is the only coding class I have done, but I have learned a lot and look forward to it. My favorite thing we've done so far is Basics of WordPress, you can make a real website really simply. I also like the "Real" coding we do, but it gets complicated
- M.L. 8th grader
It is really fun and if you do it long enough, you will be able to make your own apps and go at your own pace.
-Margot - 10th grader
My son has taking coding with Elizabeth Mettler for years and still looks forward to going every week. It is a fun and supportive environment that provides the right balance of challenging and nurturing. I highly recommend the classes.
- Alison B - parent
I have taken this class since I was in 4th grade. I'm a sophomore in high school now. I have learned a lot in coding. Coding is hard to learn, but, as a Lab Cat, I have found coding much more comprehensive. I'm currently making an app...so I should get back to that!
What I liked about the course was that the information was easy to access, so if I was unclear about something I could check it to make sure I knew the material. Also It was useful to have homework to practice what we learned.
- M.T. Middle School student about Basics of Python
- HM Middle School Student about Basics of Python
My son, Charles, has been working with Mettler Solutions for the last few years. He is now learning Python- highly recommend this program.
Linda E, parent
My girls have taken classes with LabCatsCode for a couple of years. They really enjoy it and have been learning a lot. My older daughter and other LabCats kids even won a coding competition sponsored by Facebook. Definitely recommend.
Jennifer L, parent
Learning to code with Elizabeth has been a great experience -- lots of fun and lots learned!
-- K.R. High School Student
Where to Start?
LabCatsCoding has developed over 15 courses along 3 different course paths: Website Development, Python & Data Science and WordPress. For those new to us, we recommend choosing one of two methods shown below of learning based on your age and coding experience.
Structured Beginner Classes
Completely new to coding or still in middle school? Then, start with taking one of our two core beginner classes: How to Build a Website using HTML & CSS or Basics of Python.
Have some experience creating websites or coding? Or are already in high school? Then we recommend jumping right in with one of our self-paced paths.
Our Course Paths
Website Building Path
Jump straight into real coding with Python - one of the easiest languages to learn. Create games while learning the basic concepts and then head into more complex programming concepts.
Learn the most popular tool used to create websites on the market today starting with the basics, how to use plugins and how to add custom code.
How We Teach
We teach kids how to code. Real coding. Not drag and drop. But, fundamental programming skills that we use to create websites, games and cool tools.
- 5-8 students of similar ages.
- In person instruction for 1-1.5 hours once a week.
- Class Makeup: combination of formal instruction, reviewing students work and helping the students with current coding issues.
- Homework: 1-2 hours per week to build on that weeks lessons.
- For every course, classes start off with simple concepts and assignments and become more complex.
- LabCatsCode has three paths currently set up to learn more coding skills: Website Building, Python and WordPress.
Some of our older students even do projects for non-profits as a way of gaining great experience, gathering some community service hours and doing good for the community.
Don't See What You Want?
Take a minute to let us know what types of courses you are most interested it. We'll send out an email with information on how to sign up as soon as we have our classes lined up.
Who Do We Teach?
Interested in getting your kids coding?
- We also have summer camps based on demand. Summer is the perfect time to learn - no other school work and we make it fun.
Have your kids learn how to build a website and do some real coding!
We not only offer a range of classes for kids - but we also teach grown-ups to! Sometimes we can all use that extra push.
- Learning how to create a website using WordPress is a perfect skill for small business owners or people who want to acquire some tech expertise.